Saturday, December 28, 2013

Enjoying the Journey

I think the universe is telling me a the moment to "enjoy the journey".  That's how it feels.  I just purchased "The Practicing Mind" which is an interesting read so far.  Basically it talks about not making the product my goal, but the process, "the practice" of getting to that place the goal.  Which is interesting.  I guess that means that the goal is the discipline of practicing over the final product.  When we look at the product as the goal we sometimes find the journey there to be a nuisance.  And then with that feeling on board, we struggle to make the journey.  Interesting.  I can totally relate to that.

It's a Saturday.  We took the boys to Carindale today to spend their "christmas money".  Apart from that we have been home all day.  It hasn't felt like a saturday.  I guess that is because it is christmas holidays.

I have been really enjoying playing guitar of late.  And hopefully I am beginning to enjoy the journey.  I have been practicing with the JS-10 Eband device which is amazing.  Makes practicing easy ... lots of different styles and backing tracks that I can "dial in" and just start playing over.  It seems to be helping me develop my ear which is good.

I'm also looking at possibly working through some of Ted Greene's "Modern Chord Progressions".  It's an incredibly intense book.  I have wondered how I should even work through it.  I think, I should look at it like the Bible.  Funny I know.  But if I am to internalise the music and ideas, I need to take them as small bite sized pieces.  It's not about playing all the different chord progressions one after another.  It's about letting one chord progression get into my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment