Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Being Different

I am a spiritual person.  My desire is to understand that part of who I am.  I feel that I have a purpose that connects me to others.  I believe that this purpose has not been fully experienced or realised by either myself or others.


John 9:1-3
As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”
“Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.

Who sinned?  Interesting that we wonder that.  Interesting that the people closest to Jesus asked that.  More interesting that Jesus answered "neither".

Is being blind a defect or difference?  Is it a disability or difference?  Being blind leads to life being different from what we could conceivably consider to be normal.  But is it wrong?  Perhaps we could say "being blind is not what is intended".  "Life's not meant to happen that way," we could argue.  

But it does happen.  Life can go "wrong" in an incalculable number of ways.  It can happen at birth, or after birth.  It can occasion death or severe disability.  But is it in our best interest to judge if it's right or wrong?

Consider this man:  Derek Paravacini.  Born blind.  In his adult life can never be independent.  He must have someone take care of him constantly.  But there is something "super human" about this person.  He fills my heart with happiness.

I was born with a difference.  I'm kinda glad that I was.




No comments:

Post a Comment